There are a few ways to get to Vashon Island. The most popular is by car aboard one of the Washington State Ferries from the Fauntleroy Ferry Terminal in West Seattle, or at the Point Defiance Terminal in Tacoma, WA. Visitors can arrive by bus, boat, bike or even airplane on Vashon’s small airstrip.
Vashon Island is just a 30 minute to one hour drive from Seattle and surrounding cities (Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Issaquah, etc) making it a fun day trip. When you plan your day before you arrive you won’t feel so overwhelmed by all their is to do.
- Arrive Early – During the summer months the weekends can get very busy with tourists. Plan to arrive at the ferry terminal before 10:00 am on a Saturday or Sunday morning to ensure you aren’t stuck in line waiting to get on. Friday nights are the worst for ferry waits with all the commuters and tourists making to the island for the weekend.
- Pick Your Activities –
- Wine, Brews, Ciders and Spirits Tasting – Plan on which of our more popular wineries, breweries, cider houses and distilleries you would like to visit while you are here.
- Outdoor Activities – From a casual bike around the island on a touring or electric bike (there are rentals), a quiet or strenuous hike in one of our many trails or beach walks, or rent a kayak or paddleboard for a nice time on the water.
- Regular Events – Saturday Market, First Friday, Strawberry Festival, and our Fourth of July fireworks celebrations are all just a few of the usual events we have on the Island.
- Restaurants and Cafes – Vashon holds true to what the Pacific Northwest is known for and that’s coffee and some of the best food around. Get to know our many restaurants from the distinguished Bramble House, quirky Hardware Store to our newest additions including the Wild Mermaid.